Saturday, April 13, 2013

Gluten Free Banana Walnut Muffins

For the past year, Bob and I have been eating gluten free. We made the switch for health reasons and have been feeling so much better since the change in our diets. Every once in a while however, we really crave a good, doughy, fluffy pastry or sweet thing.

Gluten Free baked goods are a little tricky. It's not easy to get a texture that is close to the regular wheat flour varieties. This muffin is the closest I've had to a wheat flour one in a long time and it was soooo wonderful!

Below is the recipe and the adjustments I made to it. Just as a warning... I did learn to bake by following my Great Grandma's handwritten recipes where the measurements were " a handful" of this and a "splash" of that. I'm sorry in advance for not being more specific in areas but here's what I did:
On the back of the Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Mix there is a recipe for Biscuits. I doubled this recipe and made some adjustments to make about 18 muffins.


2 1/2 cups Baking Mix
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used the regular fat one)
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup Vanilla Almond Milk (regular, not unsweetened)
about 2 tbs Agave sweetener
2 very squishy and ripe bananas
3 eggs


Preheat oven to 400.

I put everything into one big bowl (because I'm lazy like that) and then used a hand mixer on low to get it all mixed up. Then I added about a handful of chopped walnuts and re-mixed them in with the mixer for just a couple of seconds.

Spoon the dough into lined muffin pan and pop 'em in the oven for about 10-12 minutes. My oven runs a little hot so I checked them at 10 mins and then let them stay in there another minute or two.
I didn't want them to be too dry so I didn't let them brown on the top. They were baked all the way thru though and perfectly moist.

They taste best when they are warm from the oven with some butter & honey or jam.
Hopefully this recipe works for you too!



<Allani>

No comments:

Post a Comment